develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2000

Re: unicode support and perl

From:
H . Merijn Brand
Date:
September 18, 2000 01:54
Re: unicode support and perl
Message ID:
20000917141321.6909.H.M.BRAND@hccnet.nl
On Sat, 16 Sep 2000 12:28:13 +0100, Simon Cozens <simon@cozens.net> wrote:
[ ...]
> To explain, the way I like to fix problems in Perl is to be presented with a
> piece of code which someone claims doesn't work, and change Perl until it does
> what people think it should. That's why I ask for test code, and why I get a
> bit uppity when people, quite reasonably, refer me back to the bug db. Yes,
> it's laziness; I like to be confronted directly with the problem, in my face,
> rather than having to go out of my way to find it.

Rather sounds like the way I work. I don't find to much time to *look* for
bugs, but if I see one pass by, or if I hit one myself, I'll dig into it.

> But let's be honest, this is a volunteer effort, and we work on Perl the way
> we feel comfortable with. If I have to start digging around in the
> perlbugtron, things stop being fun for me because I'm not working the way I
> want to. But that doesn't mean I'm allowed to be inflexible about it, and
> especially if it's stopping progress being made, so I do need to apologise for
> that.

To be even more honoust, I don't even know how to search bugtron for trouble
that suits my interrest. I'd like a downloadable ASCII/ISO-8895-1 list with a
short list of open bug next to the summary posted of bugtron's state. This
would be esp. usefull for newcommers and people looking for some problem to
dig in. Idealy, the problems could be assigned a rating by the guru's to
indicate complexness. Very easy will probably not show up there, cause those
are solved on the spot ;-)

I'm sure I'll learn more about the bugtron on your advanced p5p masterclass in
london ...

> What next?

Motivate more and more people (Jarkko is doing very well here) to solve
outstanding issues. Abigail sometimes also posts some summarizing questions.
If I find time, I'd like to look into the @+, @_ readonly stuff, for which
I've seen no patches comming by so far. Maybe this problem could be viewed in
a wider sense by adding readony to $^O and other `informative' globals too, as
you mentioned in another bug report. But I've to re-read that discussion.
Abigail says it's usefull. I don't see that (yet).

> Thanks, all, and sorry again,

Thank you for your great effort to make unicode/utf8 do what it's supposed to
do, and hopefully with the help of many others, including Marc, we'll get
there.

--
H.Merijn Brand           Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://www.amsterdam.pm.org/)
using perl-5.005.03, 5.6.0, 5.7.1 & 516 on HP-UX 10.20 & 11.00, AIX 4.2 & 4.3,