develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2000

Re: bless(REF, REF)

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
September 2, 2000 07:49
Re: bless(REF, REF)
Message ID:
20000902094905.F2134@chaos.wustl.edu
> One of the things I did was to make classes first-class variables,
> instead of packages, so you can pass them around and manipulate them
> with subroutines. I did this by making classes into references. I've
> had to work around this additional restriction in 5.7.0 by having a
> global hash of classes keyed to their stringified references, but I'd
> really rather not have to. In fact, I'd rather bless() took references
> and ref() was able to produce real references instead of stringified
> ones. I'm happy to patch this (for 5.7.1, naturally) if it's deemed to
> make sense.

Be certain to peruse the p5p thread on why it became verboten.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen