develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2000

mergesort is out; welcome back, qsort. (fwd)

From:
John Linderman
Date:
September 1, 2000 05:02
Subject:
mergesort is out; welcome back, qsort. (fwd)
Message ID:
200009011202.IAA08055@raptor.research.att.com
On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Jarkko said
> I see no way to juggle copyrights and licensing so that all the
> involved parties (*) could be happy.  We now return to our regularly
> scheduled patching.

> (*) Peter McIlroy (the author of the code), UCB/BSD, and Larry.

As I told Jarkko, this is too bad, but he made a terrific effort.
Peter wrote a great merge sort, but even a pretty good merge sort
should confer many of the same advantages.  I'm hoping for a
miracle that will spring the original code loose, but if it
doesn't happen in a couple weeks, I'll craft a license-free
implementation for later inclusion. -- jpl