develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2000

RE: Do we care about compiler warnings?

From:
Horsley Tom
Date:
September 1, 2000 04:05
RE: Do we care about compiler warnings?
Message ID:
707033366258D411BC9C00805F0D91071B1BA2@exchange.ccur.com
Even if you care, its hard to fix all of them in code that gets
ported to a million places. Many of them are due to differing
function prototypes in the system header files so the warnings
will come and go on different machines. Lots of unreachable
warnings are due to different ifdefs on different platforms.
And some of them are due to different compilers (I once put
a return statement following an infinite loop to satisfy one
compiler's craving for functions that return a value only to
have the next compiler detect the infinite loop and complain
that the return was unreachable :-).