develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2000

Re: [ID 20000331.024] Solaris7, make test, socket problem

From:
Gurusamy Sarathy
Date:
April 26, 2000 21:47
Re: [ID 20000331.024] Solaris7, make test, socket problem
Message ID:
200004270445.VAA02208@molotok.activestate.com
On Fri, 31 Mar 2000 16:17:07 EST, Art Mulder wrote:
>  Executive summary:  I had to run "sh Configure" and add "-lresolv" to
>  the libraries line, otherwise "make test" would fail several tests with
>  complaints about socket.so.  I would hope that the installation process
>  could be improved to automatically pick up on this.
>
>  Details follow:
>
>    I have a Sun Ultra/1 with solaris 7 installed, with all current
>    patches as of a month ago.  Our version of gcc is egcs-2.91.60.
>
>    I'm trying to build perl 5.6.0 and was stunned to see it fail
>    during the make test.  (I'm spoiled, I expect everything to work
>    on Sun's)
>
>    I ran "sh Configure -de;make;make test"
>    I get the following errors:
>
>    lib/socket...........ld.so.1: ./perl: fatal: relocation error: file
>      ../lib/auto/Socket/Socket.so: symbol inet_aton: referenced symbol
>      not found
>
>    (there are several errors, this is just one).  I then cd'd into
>    the 't/' directory and ran "./perl harness"  which gives the same
>    errors and the following summary:
>
>    Failed Test  Status Wstat Total Fail  Failed  List of failed
>    ---------------------------------------------------------------
>    lib/io_multihom 145 37120     8    6  75.00%  3-8
>    lib/io_sock.t   145 37120    14   13  92.86%  2-14
>    lib/io_udp.t      0     9     7    7 100.00%  1-7
>    lib/ph.t                     84    2   2.38%  21, 49
>    lib/socket.t      0     9    ??   ??       %  ??
>
>    After going through /usr/lib and running nm on everything in
>    there and grepping for inet_aton, I found it in libresolv.
>
>    So then I tried a "make distclean" followed by an interactive
>    run of "sh Configure", adding "-lresolv" to the libraries
>    section:

>      What libraries to use?
>      [-lsocket -lbind -lnsl -ldb -ldl -lm -lc -lcrypt -lsec] $* -lresolv
>
>    Now "make test" would run to completion w/out any errors.
>
>    During the course of my testing, I upgraded our gcc to 2.95.2 and
>    that made no difference.  I also tried running Configure several different
>    ways, playing with my path, in case that was messing things up.
>    One possibility that I didn't get to before this fix, was that I do
>    have "LD_LIBRARY_PATH" set to "/usr/openwin/lib", but that shouldn't
>    cause any problems.

There's some strangeness going on here, because other people have reported
successful builds on Solaris 2.7 without having to add -lresolv.  If you
could compare config info to determine how your setup is different, that
would help tremendously.  Past ok reports are archived here: