develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2000

RE: Warning message with Tk800.020

From:
Nick Ing-Simmons
Date:
April 14, 2000 10:08
RE: Warning message with Tk800.020
Message ID:
E12g9aS-0001jx-00@mserv1a.u-net.net
David M . Town <dtown@fore.com> writes:

"Attempt to free unreferenced scalar during global destruction."

>> Is there any characteristics of your applications which might
>> give me clues where to look?
>>
>I have noticed the if I just run the application and do not
>load a file I do not get the warnings.  If I load a file(s),
>I seem to get either one, two, or three warnings.

>I followed up on my last statement as I was writing it.  I
>think I found a way to get rid of my error messages.
>
>When I was parsing a file, the method invoked after I selected
>the file was doing the following:
>
>my @results = $parse_object->parse_file($filename);
>
>$global_object->{'_file_contents'} = \@results;
>
>NOTE: $global_object also contains a "tk" entry that holds
>references to all of the Tk objects including the MainWindow
>(i.e $global_object->{'_tk'}->{'_main_window'} = MainWindow->new();)
>
>If I changed:
>
>my @results = $parse_object->parse_file($filename);

>my @results;
>@results = $parse_object->parse_file($filename);
>
>the warning messages went away (in my limited testing).

Weird! - can you let me know if that "keeps it fixed" or
just changes when they happen (I have had dozens of things which
just move the problem).

Porters - why could

my @results = $obj->Method;

and