develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2000

otherlibdirs Configure variable

From:
dmccabe
Date:
April 13, 2000 06:46
Subject:
otherlibdirs Configure variable
Message ID:
0FSY00A3JJ55VP@field.videotron.net
In the INSTALL file that comes with perl 5.6.0, there is this paragraph:

=item otherlibdirs

As a final catch-all, Configure also offers an $otherlibdirs
variable.  This variable contains a colon-separated list of additional
directories to add to @INC.  By default, it will be set to
$prefix/site_perl if Configure detects that you have 5.004-era modules
installed there.  However, you can set it to anything you like.

But, on my system, a Solaris 2.6 with gcc 2.95.1, this does not work. Here is my
Configure command:

/Configure -Dcc=gcc -Dprefix=/opt/perl5 -Dotherlibdirs=/opt/perl5/lib/VTL
-Dinstallscript=/opt/perl5/scripts -d

I always end up with a binary that sets @INC to the default, plus the site_perl dir,
even though I have _no_ perl4 (or anything else, for that matter) in the install dir.

Doing a grep for otherlibdirs shows it in only 2 files, Changes, and INSTALL.

I have found a way to do what I want, using the undocumented features in perl.c:

/* Use the ~-expanded versions of APPLLIB (undocumented),
    ARCHLIB PRIVLIB SITEARCH SITELIB VENDORARCH and VENDORLIB
*/
#ifdef APPLLIB_EXP
    incpush(APPLLIB_EXP, TRUE, TRUE);
#endif

So I define APPLLIB_EXP to be the dir I want to include, before compiling perl.c, and
this worked fine with 5.005_03. But I do not want to rely on undocumented features.
:)

So, is otherlibdirs supposed to work, or what?? :)

David McCabe  Unix System Administrator
Le Groupe Videotron dmccabe@videotron.net   (514) 380 4433

"Me mind's made up!  And when me mind's made up,
I don't thinks about nuthin'!"
                           --Popeye