develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2000

search.cpan.org stats

From:
Elaine -HFB- Ashton
Date:
April 6, 2000 15:03
Subject:
search.cpan.org stats
Message ID:
20000406170054.H11274@chaos.wustl.edu
After tinkering around I've got 2 different log analysis tools that may,
over time, prove to be of some interest.

http://search.cpan.org/analog/cpan_org/search/

These are generated with analog which is exceedingly fast. I'm still
tuning the output a bit, especially with the cachefiles which the program
uses for cumulative reports, but overall it behaves as advertised.
<hostname>-<year>.html is the cumulative to date.

http://search.cpan.org/stats

This output is generated by wusage, which after much trouble has
generated this rather bloated but great for PHB statistics. There are a
few blips, namely 25-3 thru 31-3, but it should lend a generally good idea
of what the site is doing. This may go away if it starts misbehaving again
and obliterates system resources.

Overall the sample is too small to really notice any trends, but one thing
I find interesting is the browser platform stats because it is clear that
the majority of browsers are on the windows platform...not what I would
expect for a bastion of OpenSource :) Also, some of the search engine
words are pretty amusing.

Anyway, I've taken the time to automate the process so that the stats will
be more consistent and over time they may prove to be valuable information
as to how people look for Perl, how they use it and what they are seeking
most often.

enjoy.

e.