develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2000

The Little Red Hen

From:
Rocco Caputo
Date:
April 2, 2000 23:04
Subject:
The Little Red Hen
Message ID:
200004030601.CAA20052@mail.netrus.net
"The Little Red Hen"

One day as the Little Red Hen was scratching in a field, she found a
grain of wheat.

  "This wheat should be planted," she said. "Who will plant this grain
of wheat?"

  "Not I," said the Duck.
  "Not I," said the Cat.
  "Not I," said the Dog.

  "Then I will," said the Little Red Hen. And she did.

Soon the wheat grew to be tall and yellow. "The wheat is ripe," said
the Little Red Hen. "Who will cut the wheat?"

  "Not I," said the Duck.
  "Not I," said the Cat.
  "Not I." said the Dog.

  "Then I will," said the Little Red Hen. And she did.

When the wheat was cut, the Little Red Hen said, "Who will thresh this
wheat?"

  "Not I," said the Duck.
  "Not I," said the Cat.
  "Not I," said the Dog.

  "Then I will," said the Little Red Hen. And she did.

When the wheat was all threshed, the Little Red Hen said, "Who will
take this wheat to the mill?"

  "Not I," said the Duck.
  "Not I," said the Cat.
  "Not I," said the Dog.

  "Then I will," said the Little Red Hen. And she did.

She took the wheat to the mill and had it ground into flour. Then she
said, "Who will make this flour into bread?"

  "Not I," said the Duck.
  "Not I," said the Cat.
  "Not I," said the Dog.

  "Then I will," said the Little Red Hen. And she did.

She made and baked the bread. Then she said, "Who will eat this
bread?"

  "Oh! I will," said the Duck.
  "And I will," said the Cat.
  "And I will," said the Dog.

She gave them each some bread, because she believed that sharing bread
was a good thing to do.  Then she asked, "How do you like my bread?"

  "Your bread is too dense," said the Duck.
  "Your bread is too coarse," said the Cat.
  "Your bread is too hard," said the Dog.

  "I am sorry," said the Little Red Hen, "It might have been better
with your help."

  "I did help," said the Duck.  "I crafted a world-class knife to cut
your bread!"
  "I did help," said the Cat.  "I co-branded the Duck's amazing slicer
with your bread and strategically positioned them as an enabling
technology in the emerging gluten-intolerant market!"
  "I did help," said the Dog.  "I tried your bread, and it can't be cut
with the Duck's wonderful utensil!  You should be ashamed for baking it!"

  "I see," said the Little Red Hen. And she did.

-- Rocco Caputo / troc@netrus.net / [obligatory perl reference]