develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2000

Re: "A Perl Hacker in the Land of Python"

From:
Ask Bjoern Hansen
Date:
April 2, 2000 22:40
Re: "A Perl Hacker in the Land of Python"
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.10.10004022235280.12082-100000@impatience.valueclick.com
On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Chip Salzenberg wrote:

> > The 1.4 million number is 25% of netcraft's january count of apache
> > servers.  That number today would be 1.6 million, or 14.5% of the
> > servers netcraft examines.
>
> Surely we can claim at least 50% of Apache installations as Perl users.

Even the more complicated and resource intensive mod_perl installation has
quite a few users (612425 servers at the March count)

http://perl.apache.org/netcraft/

or at:

http://www.e-softinc.com/survey/data/200003/news.html#modules

they count that there is only ~3 times as many PHP installations as
mod_perl installations. (The PHP is a lot cheaper in resources and thus
more likely to just be there and not be used - or to be installed as
default in large hosting farms).

 - ask

--
ask bjoern hansen - <http://www.netcetera.dk/~ask/>