develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2000

RE: 5.6.0 ready for prime-time?

From:
Sam Tregar
Date:
April 2, 2000 16:22
RE: 5.6.0 ready for prime-time?
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.21.0004021918420.4184-100000@zoltar.vm.com
On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, David Grove wrote:

> I'm not talking about corporate interference or selling out like [...] is
> trying to do with perl.

Is that "[...]" crap supposed to be more polite than outright slander?

> Old marketing surveys from 96-97 showed that companies were moving from
> Novell and Unix to NT because they thought they had no choice. Since that
> time, that choice has been a painful and expensive one. If we can't
> straighten out microsoft for them, we can at least give them high quality
> tools.

Bizarre.  You have a truely strange view of Perl's place in the
universe.  How exactly is Perl supposed to help people trying to use NT in
place of Unix?  Why should we want to?

> Advocacy is a good thing, right?

False.  Advocacy *can* be a good thing.  Advocacy can also be a very bad
thing.  It all depends on what you're advocating and how.

I imagine you can guess what a large portion of perl5-porters thinks of
your kind of "advocacy" by now.

-sam