5.005_03 on IA-64 help needed

From:
Jeff Okamoto
Date:
March 20, 2000 13:36
Subject:
5.005_03 on IA-64 help needed
Message ID:
200003202136.NAA27994@xfiles.intercon.hp.com
Hi all,

I could really use some debugging hints.

I am trying to get 5.005_03 to run on an IA-64 box running HP-UX.  I
built it on a PA-RISC HP-UX box using a PA config.sh and compiling with
a cross-compiler.

I can get perl to run and it passes most of the basic tests, but one of
them fails in a really strange fashion.  It's in op/misc.t and it's the
test:

	print "ok\n" if ("\0" lt "\xFF");

What I believe is happening is that the high-bit character is either not
being cast into an unsigned *or* that some weird sign-extending is
happening.  If I change the args around a bit, I see the following

	0 lt FF		FAIL
	0 lt 80		FAIL
	0 lt 7F		OK
	7f lt FF	FAIL
	7f lt 00	FAIL
	7f lt 7F	FAIL
	80 lt FF	OK
	80 lt 00	FAIL
	80 lt 7F	OK

I don't have access to a debugger on this platform, so I have to do this
with fprintf's.

Any suggestions on where to stick them would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff