Filters? Re: hook for qs// operator for embedded SQL?

From:
Barrie Slaymaker
Date:
March 20, 2000 11:07
Subject:
Filters? Re: hook for qs// operator for embedded SQL?
Message ID:
38D676C0.EE59D528@lm.com
Isn't this the ecological niche that was supposed to be populated by
source filters?

Having just finished implementing a database backend in an interpreted
OO language I've developed over the last few years for a client of mine,
I've had to think through the embedded vs. native syntax for executing
SQL.

I have to say that embedded SQL runs out of steam pretty low on the
complexity of application scale.  Yet I'd venture to guess that the
majority of linked-in Oracle libraries are linked in to applications
using Pro*FOO.  It's the most approachable solution for a large
chunk of the 'semi-pro' coders out there.  And there's a large
audience of people who feel comfortable using embedded SQL that
are or would be scared of 100% Pure Perl (tm).

Seems like a source filter recognizing the characters 'EXEC SQL'
up through the next ';' and converting that in to calls to DBI code
would be more inherently familiar to Pro*FOO users and would not
require core alteration.

- Barrie