[ID 20000318.005] Linix, Open2() and DEFUNCT processes.

From:
Daniel L. Needles
Date:
March 18, 2000 20:18
Subject:
[ID 20000318.005] Linix, Open2() and DEFUNCT processes.
Message ID:
38D454F4.C6136FB2@ins.com
Hello,
  I'm trying to find out if there is an existing problem with defunct
processes using Open2() on Linux.

I have a loop that repeatively calls Open2() against a process that
takes a block of standard in, processes it and writes it to standard out

before the loop starts again.  The output is always correct but the
called process remains in DEFUNCT state until I kill the Open2() calling

program.  Worse, I cannot kill the DEFUNCT processes.  Only by killing
the PERL program will they go away.

Any ideas?  Do you know of any EMAIL LISTS that could address this?

Thanks,
Daniel L. Needles