unused "my $fname = 'unicode/UnicodeData-Latest.txt';" in charnames.pm

From:
David Dyck
Date:
March 17, 2000 23:26
Subject:
unused "my $fname = 'unicode/UnicodeData-Latest.txt';" in charnames.pm
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.05.10003172324470.22148-100000@dd.tc.fluke.com

In charnames.pm  there is the line:

my $fname = 'unicode/UnicodeData-Latest.txt';

but this variable $fname doesn't seem to get used,
and the file unicode/UnicodeData-Latest.txt that
comes with the 5.6.0 distribution isn't installed

Should this line be removed as it could lead to
confusion, otherwise could someone explain what
it is doing there?