perl-5.6.0-RC2 early warning for Concurrent PowerMAX OS

From:
Tom Horsley
Date:
March 16, 2000 10:13
Subject:
perl-5.6.0-RC2 early warning for Concurrent PowerMAX OS
Message ID:
200003161813.SAA29023@amber2.ccur.com
I decided to try an build perl on PowerMAX without trying to get the 64 bit
file routines to work just yet, and I find that 5.6.0 is including
<sys/mode.h> now (which it must never have done before).

That doesn't work worth beans on PowerMAX because <sys/mode.h> references
some data types that are only defined in <sys/vnode.h> and you have to
include <sys/vnode.h> first.

I am testing this patch to the hints file to see what happens:

*** hints/powerux.sh.orig	Thu Mar 16 12:48:43 2000
--- hints/powerux.sh	Thu Mar 16 12:50:09 2000
***************
*** 63,68 ****
--- 63,74 ----
  #
  i_ndbm='undef'

+ # I have no clude what perl thinks it wants <sys/mode.h> for, but if
+ # you include it in a program in PowerMAX without first including
+ # <sys/vnode.h> the code don't compile...
+ #
+ i_sysmode='undef'
+
  # There is a bug in memcmp (which I hope will be fixed soon) which sometimes
  # fails to provide the correct compare status (it is data dependant), so just
  # pretend there is no memcmp...

But I don't know if things will now break because it needs something
from mode.h. I just thought I'd send this off to let folks know there
is a problem on the PowerMAX platform, but this might not be the end
of patches for PowerMAX so you might want to hold off on applying it.