utf8 and XS

From:
Nick Ing-Simmons
Date:
March 15, 2000 13:04
Subject:
utf8 and XS
Message ID:
E12VKxa-0006yb-00@mserv1c.u-net.net

Now that 5.6.0 is nearly out and worst of bugs are out of Tk800.XXX
it seems like a good time to start on tk8.1+ port - the ones that
assume UTF8.

I did a quick grep on perl5.6.0/pod/*.pod and find nothing on
how utf8-ness affects XS modules.

The Tk code needs several things in this area - the two most fundamental
being:

"Give me a pointer to the UTF8 encoded chars in this SV" - which
would seem to be SvPVutf8()
and its inverse:

"Set this SV to contain these UTF8 encoded chars".
Which seems to be
sv_setpvn(sv)
+ SvUTF8_on(sv)

There not being any special setting function(s).

I assume at least a sentence or two for perlguts.pod is appropriate?

Tk would also _like_ (but can provide by importing more of Tcl than I would
like) "convert this UTF8 string to encoding yyyy" where yyyy is a "name"
of an encoding used by a particular font - it may be a single byte encoding
or wide char encoding.

There was talk of bundling one or more encoding converters -
did it ever happen?

--
Nick Ing-Simmons