Re: perl 5.6.RC2 pp_sys.c problem (AIX 4.3.3.11) - partial solution?

From:
David R. Favor
Date:
March 15, 2000 11:19
Re: perl 5.6.RC2 pp_sys.c problem (AIX 4.3.3.11) - partial solution?
Message ID:
38CFE258.5E22B72F@austin.ibm.com
Gurusamy Sarathy wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Mar 2000 09:31:59 CST, "David R. Favor" wrote:
> >Note that the write() function in AIX takes the following arguments:
> >
> >   ssize_t write (FileDescriptor, Buffer, NBytes)
> >   int FileDescriptor;
> >   const void *Buffer;
> >   size_t NBytes;
> >

> >Note the difference in size between size_t and Off_t.
>
> This is a bug in Perl, pure and simple.  We should be using the
> right type for the "length" parameter.
>
> Please try this.  It isn't quite the right fix, because it really
> needs to be Size_t, and the return value from the write() a SSize_t,
> but this should suffice to test it.

Good news! That worked! Whew...

Also I got wild and tried to rebuild with -Duse64bits and without -Duse5005threads.
Here is what I found.

1) Threads won't compile unless I add the following to perl.exp

   PL_thr_key
   Perl_Gthr_key_ptr

2) -Duse64bits never runs the alternative file system tests...

   lib/syslfs...........skipping test on this platform
   op/lfs...............skipping test on this platform

Maybe there is some other switch I need to build large file system support.

Anyway, let me know about these last two items.

And thanks for figuring out the SSize_t problem. Hopefully RC3 will run without
a hitch!