Where to look when porting 64 bit file interfaces?

From:
Tom Horsley
Date:
March 15, 2000 06:57
Subject:
Where to look when porting 64 bit file interfaces?
Message ID:
200003151457.OAA21225@amber2.ccur.com
I haven't had time to pay a lot of attention to p5p, but I did see the
announcement of perl-5.6.0-RC1 and have briefly looked at it, but I'm not
sure what I should be doing to try and get the 64 bit file access interfaces
to work on my system, so I'm hoping someone can point me to the right place
in the maze of docs :-).

PowerMAX OS does have the various stat64, etc. functions, but you
(apparently) need to #define _LARGEFILE64_SOURCE to see them (I'm not sure I
understand why, since they all have unique names anyway).

If I give that in the hints for PowerMAX compile flags, will it be used by
Configure when it is probing for 64 bit file routines?

Do I have to have 64 bit integer support turned on as well? (How much of
it?). Or can it still run with 32 bit ints (probably much faster) and just
use doubles for file offsets which would probably be adequate even if it
doesn't get all the way to 64 bits?

Thanks for putting up with these questions I'd probably already know the
answers to if I had been paying attention :-).
--
Tom.Horsley@mail.ccur.com                \\\\      Will no one rid me of
Concurrent Computers, Ft. Lauderdale, FL    \\\\     this troublesome