rcfile ordering in debugger

From:
Tom Christiansen
Date:
March 15, 2000 05:21
Subject:
rcfile ordering in debugger
Message ID:
548.953126501@chthon
The old debugger had this order

    if local rc file found
	source it
    elsif home rc file found
	source it

Note that those are mutually exclusive, and that this is neither the
order nor conditions followed by other programs that do this.
Instead, they follow these rules:

    1) Sourcing a local rc file doesn't cancel sourcing the home rc file.

    2) The local rc file is sourced *second*, allowing
       local overrides on global settings.

    3) [sometimes] local sourcing is only done if some option is
       set in home rc file or environment.

I don't propose 3, due to backwards compat and because I added
remedial security checks that make me somewhat less nervous, but
surely 1 and 2 seem both useful and intuitive.  I therefore propose
that the algorithm for the debugger's rcfile sourcing be recast as
follows:

    if home rc file found
	source it
    if local rc file found and it's not the home one we sourced already
	source it, too

This seems to better match expected usage and desirable properties.
Can anybody think of any good reason why the debugger should not
be fixed to work this way?  (Actually, I've already got the patch,
but wanted to run the idea by the world first.)

--tom