re: Pod::Parser

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
March 7, 2000 09:09
re: Pod::Parser
Message ID:
20000307120912.A28532@athens.aocn.com
On Tue, Mar 07, 2000 at 08:15:04AM -0500, Charles Lane wrote:
> >> with the DOS newline thing, it appears to be just for the formatting
> >> on the waring... but why would you want to format VMS filenames as
> >> Unix if you're on VMS?
> >
> > It might have to do with getting consistent looking output that gives
> > reproducible expected results that look the same for both Unix and VMS
> > so that the t/pod/*.t tests pass when comparing output produced on Unix
> > vs VMS when the output contains input filenames.
>
> It was the t/pod/poderrs.t tests that was the main motivation; since then
> I did a bit of hacking at the t/pod/testpchk.pl code; so that when the
> error message differs from the "canonical" one, it checks to see if it's a
> filename that needs traslation to unix format.  I *think* this may be
> a better solution than changing filenames in the messages from Pod::Checker and
> Pod::Parser.  What do you suggest, should I post my change to testpchk.pl?

IMHO, testing shouldn't dictate the feature and that format of the
warning should remain consistant with the current OS (thus, filenames
on VMS should look like VMS filenames, DOS on Win32, etc...) under the
Principle of Least Surprise.

(Of course, I'm not the one that has to implement this, so I can say
anything I want.)

--

Michael G Schwern      http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/	   schwern@pobox.com
Maybe they hooked you up with one of those ass-making magazines.