... and a time to tear down what was built

From:
Chip Salzenberg
Date:
March 7, 2000 01:24
Subject:
... and a time to tear down what was built
Message ID:
20000307012432.J3391@perlsupport.com
Verbal abuse is common in this world.  It's so common that at times we
may hardly even notice it.  But it is corrosive.  It eats away at the
mental and emotional health of those who are subjected to it... and of
those who simply *witness* it.

The Perl community, like any community, needs shared experiences, or
it ceases to be a community.  And perl5-porters has been an important
part of our community's shared experiences.  But just like any other
shared resource, perl5-porters is vulnerable to those who are willing
to destroy it in order to "save" it.  Well, here's a shocker for you:
Verbal abusers *are* destroying p5p.  One by one, people are leaving.
They aren't tired of Perl.  They're just tired of p5p.

It might have been possible to reclaim perl5-porters from its
impending doom.  If anyone who would not play nice with the other
children were restricted from causing further damage -- either through
moderation or expulsion -- then p5p might still be the fertile and
welcoming group it once was.  But the Powers That Be decline to act.

So I am leaving p5p.

However:

I am not leaving Perl!  To the contrary: I'm still pumpking for 5.4
and 5.5 maintenance.  I'm still working on Topaz.  And -- perhaps most
significant in the long term -- I hereby announce the creation of a
new, friendlier, Perl list:

   perl-friends@perlsupport.com

Perl-Friends is live and operating even as I type.  To subscribe, send
a majordomo-style subscription to <sympa@perlsupport.com>, or send any
old message to <perl-friends-subscribe@perlsupport.com>.  The list is
running on a mailing list package named "sympa".  I'd never used it,
or even heard of it, before today.  But it seems to work quite well,
it's very flexible, and of course it's written in Perl.  :-)

I leave you with these words from the Perl-Friends welcome message:

hard and fast rule:

   Verbal abuse will not be tolerated.

Perl-Friends will never make allowances for name calling, browbeating,
intimidation, _ad_hominem_ arguments, or any of the other nasty things
that you may have seen in other forums.  So be nice.  Or else.  In the
immortal words of Pearl Forrester, the Lawgiver: "Everyone is to make
merry and be light of heart, under pain of horrible lingering death."

So: Please feel free to speak your mind on any subject that seems
relevant.  Just please remember to show respect and consideration for
your fellow list members.  And, as always:

Share And Enjoy!

Chip Salzenberg              - a.k.a. -              <chip@valinux.com>