Re: my Dog $bar

From:
Ilya Zakharevich
Date:
March 4, 2000 13:32
Re: my Dog $bar
Message ID:
20000304163231.A28294@monk.mps.ohio-state.edu
[This was a discussion of PREPARE-type call done during

  my Dog $snoopy;

while the subroutine to call is specified via 'use overload prepare'
pragma in Dog.]

On Fri, Dec 24, 1999 at 06:13:43PM -0800, Gurusamy Sarathy wrote:
> >As I did (?) demonstrate a year ago, introduction of a handful of new
> >opcodes which combine most frequent combinations of "atomic" opcodes
> >might speed the latter case up to 2x.  Thus I see no reason why new
> >opcode may be *an obstacle* for including a patch.
>
> Adding an opcode is not the obstacle per se.  Adding an opcode as a
> cheap hack (instead of doing it right) is.

I strongly object to calling a solution "a cheap hack" without a
proper justification.  My solution is

  a) Behaving as people would expect;
  b) Very simple;
  c) Very efficient;

The alternatives you proposed would break at least two of these
features.  There is nothing hackish in the patch I sent.

Ilya