develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2000

[ID 20000331.024] Solaris7, make test, socket problem

Thread Next
Art Mulder
March 31, 2000 13:17
[ID 20000331.024] Solaris7, make test, socket problem
Message ID:

This is a bug report for perl from,
generated with the help of perlbug 1.28 running under perl v5.6.0.

[Please enter your report here]

  Executive summary:  I had to run "sh Configure" and add "-lresolv" to
  the libraries line, otherwise "make test" would fail several tests with 
  complaints about  I would hope that the installation process
  could be improved to automatically pick up on this.

  Details follow:

    I have a Sun Ultra/1 with solaris 7 installed, with all current
    patches as of a month ago.  Our version of gcc is egcs-2.91.60.

    I'm trying to build perl 5.6.0 and was stunned to see it fail
    during the make test.  (I'm spoiled, I expect everything to work
    on Sun's)

    I ran "sh Configure -de;make;make test"
    I get the following errors:

    lib/ ./perl: fatal: relocation error: file
      ../lib/auto/Socket/ symbol inet_aton: referenced symbol
      not found

    (there are several errors, this is just one).  I then cd'd into
    the 't/' directory and ran "./perl harness"  which gives the same
    errors and the following summary:

    Failed Test  Status Wstat Total Fail  Failed  List of failed
    lib/io_multihom 145 37120     8    6  75.00%  3-8
    lib/io_sock.t   145 37120    14   13  92.86%  2-14
    lib/io_udp.t      0     9     7    7 100.00%  1-7
    lib/ph.t                     84    2   2.38%  21, 49
    lib/socket.t      0     9    ??   ??       %  ??

    After going through /usr/lib and running nm on everything in
    there and grepping for inet_aton, I found it in libresolv.

    So then I tried a "make distclean" followed by an interactive
    run of "sh Configure", adding "-lresolv" to the libraries

      What libraries to use?
      [-lsocket -lbind -lnsl -ldb -ldl -lm -lc -lcrypt -lsec] $* -lresolv

    Now "make test" would run to completion w/out any errors.

    During the course of my testing, I upgraded our gcc to 2.95.2 and
    that made no difference.  I also tried running Configure several different
    ways, playing with my path, in case that was messing things up.
    One possibility that I didn't get to before this fix, was that I do
    have "LD_LIBRARY_PATH" set to "/usr/openwin/lib", but that shouldn't
    cause any problems.

  I hope that this bug report has been filed in the correct manner, and 
  you find it to be of some help.

  Warm regards mulder

[Please do not change anything below this line]
Site configuration information for perl v5.6.0:

Configured by amulder at Fri Mar 31 15:19:16 EST 2000.

Summary of my perl5 (revision 5.0 version 6 subversion 0) configuration:
    osname=solaris, osvers=2.7, archname=sun4-solaris
    uname='sunos 5.7 generic_106541-09 sun4u sparc '
    hint=recommended, useposix=true, d_sigaction=define
    usethreads=undef use5005threads=undef useithreads=undef usemultiplicity=undef
    useperlio=undef d_sfio=undef uselargefiles=define 
    use64bitint=undef use64bitall=undef uselongdouble=undef usesocks=undef
    cc='gcc', optimize='-O', gccversion=2.95.2 19991024 (release)
    cppflags='-fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include'
    ccflags ='-fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64'
    stdchar='char', d_stdstdio=define, usevfork=false
    intsize=4, longsize=4, ptrsize=4, doublesize=8
    d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=16
    ivtype='long', ivsize=4, nvtype='double', nvsize=8, Off_t='off_t', lseeksize=8
    alignbytes=8, usemymalloc=y, prototype=define
  Linker and Libraries:
    ld='gcc', ldflags =' -L/usr/local/lib '
    libpth=/usr/local/lib /lib /usr/lib /usr/ccs/lib /irus/lib
    libs=-lsocket -lbind -lnsl -ldl -lm -lc -lcrypt -lsec -lresolv
    libc=/lib/, so=so, useshrplib=false, libperl=libperl.a
  Dynamic Linking:
    dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags=' '
    cccdlflags='-fPIC', lddlflags='-G -L/usr/local/lib'

Locally applied patches:

@INC for perl v5.6.0:

Environment for perl v5.6.0:
    LANG (unset)
    LANGUAGE (unset)
    LOGDIR (unset)
    PERL_BADLANG (unset)

Thread Next Perl Programming lists via nntp and http.
Comments to Ask Bjørn Hansen at | Group listing | About