Re: [ID 20000325.010] warnings stuff

From:
Hugo
Date:
March 28, 2000 13:07
Re: [ID 20000325.010] warnings stuff
Message ID:
200003282113.WAA04705@crypt.compulink.co.uk
In <5104D4DBC598D211B5FE0000F8FE7EB2067FE5F6@mbtlipnt02.btlabs.bt.co.uk>,
"Marquess,P,Paul,NEL38 R" writes:
:1. Completely Manual System
:
:control which scope that warnings::(enabled|warn) looks at for the bitmask
:with a variable - like $Carp::CarpLevel does currently.
:
:2. Walk up the "caller" list until a different package is found.
:
:3. Allow option 2 to be fine tuned.
[...]
:Option 3 feels like the way to go. Any opinions?

To me the choice is between 1 and 3; I can see the benefits of 3, but
I wonder how much slower than 1 it would be, and how confusing it might
be given that similar uses in the past have all used a 1-style mechanism.

I think I'd rate 1 slightly preferable to 3.

Hugo