develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2000

Re: fixing Sys::Hostname

From:
Ilya Zakharevich
Date:
February 7, 2000 14:03
Re: fixing Sys::Hostname
Message ID:
200002072203.RAA07223@monk.mps.ohio-state.edu
Bart Schuller writes:
> >   "Value previously set by sethostname() or some other
> >    architercture-depending value with architercture-depending semantic"
> >
> > ?  Do we want such a function in the core?
>
> Assuming the sysadmin has done

Well, most systems in existence do not have sysadmin.  So we will need
a lot of disclaimers in the docs...

In other aspects some way to get things done is required anyway...
Pity that one cannot rely on this "working", but if there is no
alternative, then the disclaimer is the only obstacle...

Ilya