develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2000

Re: fixing Sys::Hostname

From:
Bart Schuller
Date:
February 7, 2000 13:56
Re: fixing Sys::Hostname
Message ID:
20000207225550.A15843@lunatech.com
On Mon, Feb 07, 2000 at 04:49:02PM -0500, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
>   "Value previously set by sethostname() or some other
>    architercture-depending value with architercture-depending semantic"
>
> ?  Do we want such a function in the core?

Assuming the sysadmin has done the sethostname() (it needs root
priviliges anyway) then yes, it is actually useful.

It gives the best value the sysadmin could come up with.

Note that the "it is just some value set previously" bit is the exact
response to your earlier "it changes when my connection drops".

--
The idea is that the first face shown to people is one they can readily
accept - a more traditional logo. The lunacy element is only revealed