develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 1999

Re: Unbeknowst

From:
François Désarménien
Date:
November 21, 1999 02:49
Re: Unbeknowst
Message ID:
3837DC92.EE0A5B1F@club-internet.fr
[about 'st']
> It's also a marker for the preterite when "-ed" has gone to "t".

Same for past participles too, no ?

> But "unbeknownst" would not appear to be of any of those categories, and

Couldn't it be that when 'unbeknowst' came out, the past participle of 'to know'
was 'knownst' before becoming 'known' ?

> To my ear, the "-st" up in "unbeknownst" lends an certain air of erudition
> (sometimes in the dusty and over-the-hill sense) to one's turn of phrase.

I see, it's like in french using archaic words such as 'moult', 'oncques' or
'honni(e)', although for us it would sound rather pendantic.

François