develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 1999

anecdote , was : Re: perl 5.005_03 hangs while flock-ing?

From:
Greg McCarroll
Date:
November 19, 1999 11:45
Subject:
anecdote , was : Re: perl 5.005_03 hangs while flock-ing?
Message ID:
3.0.1.32.19991119194004.00787ecc@pop3.demon.co.uk
At 20:18 19/11/99 +0100, Alex Farber wrote:
>> >hopefully I am not doing some very stupid mistake at the end of a hard
>> >working week, but the following script hangs (probably while trying to

as its friday and i rarely post here, i'll tell you all of my classic
mistake this week,

i was writing a quick script, i prototyped its guts quickly and used
perl -n to test it. once i was happy it worked, i added all the file
and directory stuff, and tested it again, it hung. i sat back puzzled
and then killed it to test it again, it hung again, while staring
at the terminal i realised i was still using the perl -n line in
this history, doh! no matter how good the language, a programmer can
always find new ways to confuse themselves,

Greg

--
 "Computer, if you don't open that exit hatch pretty damn pronto, I shall go
 straight to your major data banks with a very large axe and give you a