develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from October 1999

Re: 'my' usage

From:
Ronald J Kimball
Date:
October 26, 1999 11:38
Re: 'my' usage
Message ID:
19991026143813.E372911@linguist.dartmouth.edu
On Tue, Oct 26, 1999 at 11:38:34AM -0700, Andrew Dubry wrote:
> Apologies in advance if this is not the proper group to ask this question...
>
> I noticed an odd functionality in the use of 'my'. Take a look at this
> sample code:

perlref:

       Only package variables (globals, even if localized) are
       visible to symbolic references.  Lexical variables
       (declared with my()) aren't in a symbol table, and thus
       are invisible to this mechanism.  For example:

           local $value = 10;
           $ref = "value";
           {
               my $value = 20;
               print $$ref;
           }

       This will still print 10, not 20.  Remember that local()
       affects package variables, which are all "global" to the
       package.

Ronald