develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from October 1999

Re: perlthread.pod -- First draft of thread docs

From:
Sam Tregar
Date:
October 26, 1999 08:12
Re: perlthread.pod -- First draft of thread docs
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.20.9910261111100.8804-100000@zoltar.vm.com
On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Rob Cunningham wrote:

> I'll add a comment before I start a war. For what I need to do, the best thing
> about perl is its regexp parser, which is more full-featured than anything
> else I can find. It's speed is good too, which is critical. When I needed to
> structure my code to simultaneously parse multiple streams, I could have
> either (a) rewritten my perl objects in C++ (starting over) or (b) made use of
> perl's threading mechanism, and kept most of the code base. I did the latter,
> even though threading was listed as experimental. I plan to work to help make
> the next version of perl threading work, and we have committed some resources
> to help make that happen.

Naive question: have you looked at Expect.pm?  It's interface is raw as
hell, but armed with _Exploring_Expect_ from O'Reilly you should have a
"multiple stream" regexer in a day or two.  I like perl threads just like
the next guy but I don't think that betting the farm on them makes much
sense right now.

-sam