develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from October 1999

Re: PERL_HEADER env varb: was: Addition to @INC

From:
Ed Peschko
Date:
October 20, 1999 21:41
Re: PERL_HEADER env varb: was: Addition to @INC
Message ID:
199910210437.XAA07646@foghorn.csgsystems.com
>And sometimes, I wish that there was a method for *compiling* these commonly
>used modules into the interpreter itself, as part of Configure. I swear that
>having this feature would get rid of 60% of the 'should this functionality
>be in the core' arguments that are on p5p.

Ok, a bit of a clarification - when I say 'compiling these commonly used
modules, etc. etc.), I mean that a default 'PERL_HEADER' environmental variable
is compiled in, which then can be overridden, added onto, etc. etc. etc.
This would help get over the 'non-portability' hump - if people get used to
the module present and compiled into the executable, saying

export PERL_HEADER=''

would provide an easy means of getting a module ready for export to the world.

Ed