develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from October 1999

Re: Making -DPERL_Y2KWARN useful after 946684800

From:
Gurusamy Sarathy
Date:
October 18, 1999 09:57
Re: Making -DPERL_Y2KWARN useful after 946684800
Message ID:
199910181702.KAA29360@activestate.com
On Mon, 18 Oct 1999 12:38:59 EDT, Michael G Schwern wrote:
>Color me stupid... but its the middle of October 1999 and we're adding
>Y2K warnings to Perl?  Will 5.6 even stable before New Year's?  Will
>there be another release of 5.004 before 2000?
>
>I find the usefulness of this feature to be marginal as it currently
>stands.  Too little, too late and better implemented outside the core
>(ala mjd's y2k module, but that's another argument entirely.)

Indeed.

>As long as its going in, let's make it useful.  Its functionality
>could be extended INTO THE NEXT CENTURY <that has to be said in a
>majestic Buck Rogers voice> with a little bit more work.
[...]
>I think "20$year" should be stomped on just as hard as "19$year" is
>and it should be stressed that $year += 1900 is the proper way to
>prepare the year for output.  It doesn't appear difficult to add
>checks for 20 to the existing PERL_Y2KWARN flag.  Perhaps it should be
>changed to PERL_YEAR_WARN?

I really don't want to make a great big production out of this
Y2K business, sorry.  I put in what you see in there as a means to
calm the widespread panic about Y2K.  You'll notice it is not on
by default.

Sarathy
gsar@activestate.com