develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from October 1999

Re: [BUG? 5.005_62] Out of date modules in core.

From:
Mike Stok
Date:
October 17, 1999 08:19
Re: [BUG? 5.005_62] Out of date modules in core.
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.10.9910171011570.23444-100000@mike.stok.co.uk
On Sun, 17 Oct 1999, Gurusamy Sarathy wrote:

> >I'd say that Text::Soundex should -definately- be upgraded.  The
> >version we're distributing is well over five years old and the new
> >version is written in C and should be significantly faster.
>
> Old is not necessarily bad.  No XS is sometimes better (fewer bugs
> and build complications).
>
> In the case of Text::Soundex, has someone benchmarked the old vs
> new to see how much better the XSUB implementation is?  Is it
> worth it?

The new version is much better, my version was originally a joke on c.l.p
and Mark graciously allows people to install the new version without XS if
they like.  It is worth it for people who are forced to use Soundex on
large data sets.

Mike

--
mike@stok.co.uk                    |           The "`Stok' disclaimers" apply.