develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from October 1999

Re: [BUG? 5.005_62] Out of date modules in core.

From:
David Muir Sharnoff
Date:
October 17, 1999 00:48
Re: [BUG? 5.005_62] Out of date modules in core.
Message ID:
199910170748.AAA11660@idiom.com
* There is always some sort of reason, sometimes even good, for keeping
* the trailing edge as opposed to the bleeding edge. Is there anything
* specifically remiss here other than freshness?
*
* Not to mention each of them would need to be tested for platform and
* backward compatibility.
*
* Noone ever got fired for buying IBM or leaving modules that work be. :)
*
* Perhaps a nice compromise you might suggest would be to have a note of
* this in the manifest or README noting the lag and how to join CPAN
* anonymous for the bleeding edge junkie. :)

As the author of one of the modules (Text::Tabs/Wrap), I must
say that there is a reason I update the code.  The reason is not
usually extra frills, but real fixes.

For all purposes, most recent version of Text::Wrap should be used.

Like many module writers I have a regression test suite.  Unlike some
modules, Text::Wrap doesn't have any platform dependencies and thus
is it safe to use the latest version.

On exception: one of the previous versions of perl was shipped with
a version of Text::Wrap that did not pass my regression tests -- someone
made an incompatable change and distributed it.  Some breakage is
necessary to fix the problem -- the bad change was just that: bad.

I fully expect that all the modules should be updated to their latest
versions.   Since this note went out to all the authors in question,
they can chime in if it's not advisable.

-Dave