develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 1999

Re: perlfunc annonations or OOB enhancements?

From:
Matt Sergeant
Date:
August 28, 1999 03:40
Re: perlfunc annonations or OOB enhancements?
Message ID:
37C7C7C3.30BC402C@sergeant.org
Tom Christiansen wrote:

> The primary motivation for this kind of thing that I could discern is
> that ActiveState wants to do some kind of GUI hand-holding programming
> tool for people who can't remember the legal input or output values and
> contexts for functions, nor who can be bothered to look it up in the
> full description.  They'd like to codify this so they can build their
> products.  Dick seems to consider this kind of thing something which
> "all modern programmers expect", which shocks me.

s/modern/novice/

I (and I hope others do too) consider myself a modern programmer, but I
don't feel I need dialog boxes to pop up while I'm typing. However this
_is_ something that helps novices (I saw lots of people ooing and ahing
at it when MS introduced VB6 at the Microsoft Developer Days conference
I went to - made me want to puke though).

--
<Matt/>

Details: FastNet Software Ltd - XML, Perl, Databases.
Tagline: High Performance Web Solutions
Web Sites: http://come.to/fastnet http://sergeant.org
Available for Consultancy, Contracts and Training.