develooper Front page | perl.perl4lib | Postings from March 2007

RE: trailing $ on Cat source <040 field>

Jackie Shieh
March 30, 2007 12:16
RE: trailing $ on Cat source <040 field>
Message ID:

I did manually replace the data. It was just a pain
going through a file of 7774 records--and found 69
had this problem!

Was there any chance that the MARCMaker will be able
to take care of this sort in the future? Thanks!

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, Bryan Baldus wrote:

> When I open the .mrc file you attached, I see that the 040 reads
> EL\x1F$bspa\x1FcEL$. In other words, you have a subfield $ instead of
> subfield b. The .mkr file you attached has EL$$bspa$cEL$.
> When I convert the .mrc file into a .mrk using MarcEdit, I get:
> EL${dollar}bspa$cEL{dollar}, which is technically how the field appears. If
> I convert the file with MARC::File::MARCMaker [1], I get:
> EL$$bspa$cEL{dollar}. This points to a possible bug in MARCMaker, in that it
> makes it impossible to reverse the process and produce an identical .mrc
> file. I believe the reason it didn't change the dollar sign to {dollar} in
> the 1st instance is because it only converts subfield data, not subfield
> codes (assuming that the codes will be characters not needing to be escaped.
> This may be a flawed assumption.).
> Editing the 040 to have the dollar sign in subfield a followed by the
> delimiter character produces EL{dollar}$bspa$cEL{dollar} when using both
> MarcEdit and the Perl module.
> [1] Latest version on
> <>, CPAN version on
> <>. SourceForge
> version has recently updated mrc2mkr and mkr2mrc programs in bin/.
> I hope this helps,
> Bryan Baldus
> Perl Programming lists via nntp and http.
Comments to Ask Bjørn Hansen at | Group listing | About