develooper Front page | perl.perl4lib | Postings from March 2007

Re: utf-8 code: \xAE not map

From:
Mike Rylander
Date:
March 28, 2007 07:23
Re: utf-8 code: \xAE not map
Message ID:
b918cf3d0703280723j6fd8840as633e45bb2d8f3818@mail.gmail.com
On 3/28/07, Jackie Shieh <jshieh@umich.edu> wrote:

> I am looking at a set of 7000+ records-- 514th rec is a record
> that contains transliteration for Amharic (Ethiopian) on corporate
> body. MARC::Record does not have a map to it. See attached
> screen shot.
>
> utf8 "\xAE" does not map to Unicode at
> /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/i386-linux-thread-multi/Encode.pm line 166.
>
> Have you come across something like this?  How did you get
> around it?!  Thanks for your help!

Looking at the code map for MARC8, it seems this record is in fact
MARC8 encoded.  We need to confirm what code of yours is using Perl's
Encode module,  but my guess is that it's a very old MARC::Charset
module.  Can you show us a simplified example script that exhibits
this behavior?

TIA

--
Mike Rylander