develooper Front page | perl.perl4lib | Postings from January 2006

Re: MARC::Record, XML, Koha and utf-8

From:
Ed Summers
Date:
January 4, 2006 09:25
Re: MARC::Record, XML, Koha and utf-8
Message ID:
f032cc060601040923m67ab5dc2m8a891df0a3d02360@mail.gmail.com
I would opt for #2. There is a new version of MARC::Charset available
which should ease the marc8 <-> utf8 charset translation. Shortly
there will be a new MARC::File::XML that uses the latest MARC::Charset

You might be interested in taking a look at how Evergreen is storing
MARC data. I know that they are using a modded version of
MARC::File::XML in some capacity. Mike Rylander is on this list, so
maybe he'll chime in--or otherwise you could drop into
irc://irc.freenode.net/code4lib and ask him (he's usually there).

As far as MARC::Record goes there is a version in sourceforge that is
able to read/write iso2709 records with utf8 in them. Andy Lester has
said he will send this to CPAN shortly, but that's the last I heard.

//Ed