develooper Front page | perl.pep | Postings from March 2017

Re: the state of art of CPAN

From:
Marc Chantreux
Date:
March 7, 2017 09:01
Re: the state of art of CPAN
Message ID:
20170307090105.GA2993@home.u-strasbg.fr
On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 08:20:10PM -0500, Ricardo Signes wrote:
> What do you think this would look like?  Email::Sender is an abstraction layer
> over sending/delivering, and one could write multiple SMTP-backed transports
> for it, if needed.

those are just ideas from a newcomer (with no fact checking, code
reading or anything concrete)

AFAIK: email::sender is a library that embed things in objects

* this isn't flexible
* this isn't "on the wire" friendly
* i guess calling methods when you can read a key isn't efficient

si jmap should be the defacto spec. for the structure but json is
optionnal: i'm really thinking about using sereal to dump pending stuff
or pipe them to workers.

> I can't speak to Cyrus's performance as a distributed store per se, as opposed
> to having your own distribution layer atop multiple Cyruses.

something OSS ?

anyway: many thanks for helping me to make my mind up.

regards
marc