develooper Front page | perl.pep | Postings from January 2012

Re: backwards incompatible asciihood change in Email::Address

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
January 15, 2012 10:13
Re: backwards incompatible asciihood change in Email::Address
Message ID:
20120115181313.GA16997@cancer.codesimply.com
* Ruslan Zakirov <ruz@bestpractical.com> [2012-01-15T10:24:59]
> On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 19:09, Ricardo Signes <perl.pep@rjbs.manxome.org> wrote:
> > I've updated Github's repo with a change to only reject non-ASCII in the
> > email address, which really is a problem.  My guess is that you were having
> > a problem with the decoded phrase legally containing non-ASCII.
>
> Right guess. Is it legal? I don't think it is legal according to the
> spec to have non-ascii phrase. As far as I recall it should be encoded
> with Q/B.

Sure, but people aren't (I hope) passing the mime-header-encoded content to
->parse.  That will parse, but give you crap.  They should be passing the
decoded character string, at which point the non-ASCII phrase is legal.

i.e., Email::Address parses the header's decoded character data, not its raw
encoded data.

I will make a release in a few hours.

--
rjbs