develooper Front page | perl.pep | Postings from June 2010

Re: Fwd: Using Email::MIME to convert a plain email to a multipart

From:
Matijs van Zuijlen
Date:
June 6, 2010 13:52
Re: Fwd: Using Email::MIME to convert a plain email to a multipart
Message ID:
4C0C0A8A.4030507@matijs.net
Hi Erik,

On 06/06/2010 10:02 PM, Erik Logtenberg wrote:
> I'm running into several unexpected behaviours from Email::MIME after
> using parts_set and its wrapper parts_add.
>
> 1) Most notably changes to parts have no effect after they've been added
> to the email, for instance in the example below, if I were to append the
> following:
> $part2->header_set("Foo", "Bar");
> Now print $part2->as_string();  will print the part including the new
> header, but print $email->as_string(); will print the email containing
> that part without its new header.

I don't think that way of using Email::MIME is supported. A quick look at the
code reveals that parts_set copies the contents of the parts into the parent object.

> 2) When implicitly converting a single part message to multipart by
> using parts_add(), the original body will be converted into a part.
> However this part will also contain all original headers from the email
> itself.
>
> Last but not least, I should note that I am merely guessing what the
> recommended way is to convert a non-MIME or single part MIME email to
> multipart. The only reference I could find in the manual is in the
> description of the parts_set method:
>
> "Replaces the parts for an object. Accepts a reference to a list of
> Email::MIME objects, representing the new parts. If this message was
> originally a single part, the Content-Type header will be changed to
> multipart/mixed, and given a new boundary attribute."
>
> Well that seems clear enough. Nevertheless it would help if someone
> could indicate wether or not this is indeed the recommended way to
> convert a single part mail to multipart.

Given the current behavior, I would extract the body and mime type and such from
the single part message and use parts_set directly. IMHO, that's what parts_add
should do. Right now, it unfortunately just uses the entire original message as
the first part.

> Also I'm also just guessing
> that after adding parts one should still be able to change them. This is
> not explicitly stated in the documentation (neither is the opposite), so
> it would also help if someone could confirm that this is indeed the
> expected behaviour.

See above.

Regards,
--