develooper Front page | perl.par | Postings from May 2019

Using PAR_GLOBAL_TEMP prevents library updates

From:
Oliver Betz
Date:
May 8, 2019 07:47
Subject:
Using PAR_GLOBAL_TEMP prevents library updates
Message ID:
3f5e6337-5fcf-f9b5-5aaa-dba12bc445e2@gmx.net
Hi all,

when I use PAR_GLOBAL_TEMP, new versions of the application don't
overwrite existing libraries.

For example, running a new version of ExifTool (for Windows) will fail
then because the libraries of the old version are kept.

I need then to delete the contents of the directory specified by
PAR_GLOBAL_TEMP to have the new libraries unpacked.

Running different versions of ExifTool with the same location of
PAR_GLOBAL_TEMP doesn't seem to be possible this way.

Is this the intended behavior?

Without setting PAR_GLOBAL_TEMP, PAR uses version and application
specific subdirectories, so I wonder whether it is possible to use a
directory tree different from temp, but with subdirectories.

Oliver