develooper Front page | perl.par | Postings from September 2008

Should -P die?

From:
Steffen Mueller
Date:
September 2, 2008 05:38
Subject:
Should -P die?
Message ID:
20080902123754.32149.qmail@lists.develooper.com
Hi,

lately, I've been wondering whether anybody actually uses the -P
(stand-alone script with stuff embedded as a ZIP) option to pp.

It's caused head-aches, I've never used it, I can't see the advantage
over the other modes (specifically .par's and "perl par.pl"), and losing
a feature which nobody uses would potentially make the code slightly
leaner and cleaner. It just doesn't seem to be worth it and I feel it
exists mostly for the "ooh, isn't this cool" effect.

Opinions?

What would you say if we were to deprecate the feature for half a year
before removal?

Best regards,
Steffen