develooper Front page | perl.par | Postings from August 2008

Re: libwx_gtk2_html-2.8.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

From:
Gabor Szabo
Date:
August 28, 2008 21:17
Re: libwx_gtk2_html-2.8.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Message ID:
d8a74af10808282117i38154905lb2a701e4ca7e783c@mail.gmail.com
Hi,

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 1:00 AM, Roderich Schupp
<roderich.schupp@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 4:22 PM, Gabor Szabo <szabgab@gmail.com> wrote:
>> At start-up I get a warning pop-up with the following text:
>>
>> libwx_gtk2_html-2.8.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file
>> or directory
>>
>> If I click on the details I get this:
>>
>> libwx_gtk2_stc-2.8.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>> libwx_base_net-2.8.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file
>> or directory
>> libwx_gtk2_html-2.8.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file
>> or directory
>
> Are you sure that this is the exact error message?
> Because a slightly different one: it's always complaining about
> libwx_....so , not ...so.0. That's also what I see when running
> padre under strace.

sorry, you are right. I was copy-pasting them from my build script and
from the other computer screen via thin air.
In the real error messages there are no trailing .0 in the file names.

So these are the error messages:

libwx_gtk2_stc-2.8.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
libwx_base_net-2.8.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
libwx_gtk2_html-2.8.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory

>> but I though I included all 3:
>> using this script: http://svn.perlide.org/padre/trunk/create_exe
>
> Your build script is OK: running unzip on padre shows that
> the libs are included and looking at /tmp/par-USER/....
> shows that they have been correctly extracted into the top level
> cache directory. Also, the final executable runs with LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> set to this directory so the should be found by the runtime linker.
>
> But I think the run time linker is not to blame here. The telltale sign
> is that the above names dont't end in ...so.0. The latter are the
> names that are registered in the shared libs, both for their own internal
> name and as references to other libwx libs. These names are indeed
> used in lookup that show up under strace and the correctly resolved.
> I think wxwidgets does a little shared lib lookup itself (by
> explicitly calling dlopen)
> and this is somehow misconfigured:
> - it looks for the wrong names (the ...so name is only a symlink and
>  only present when you have some wx dev package installed, it
>  should look for the internal soname which ends in ...so.0)
> - the search path for looking for these shared libs is totally strange,
>  esp. it obviously doesn't respect LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>
> Cheers, Roderich

So if I understand it should look for the so.0 files but it looks for the so
(no .0 files) and that's the problem?

I checked on my development machine:
I have libwx_gtk2_stc-2.8.so.0.4.0 and both

libwx_gtk2_stc-2.8.so.0
and
libwx_gtk2_stc-2.8.so
are symlinks to that file.

The same with libwx_gtk2_html-2.8.so

I have tried to build the whole thing after removing the trailing .0
from all the lib files but I got this error message:

Cannot open : No such file or directory at
/home/gabor/perl5lib/lib/Module/ScanDeps.pm line 573.

Which is not too helpful.
FYI:

$ pp --version
PAR Packager, version 0.982 (PAR version 0.980)

The strange thing is that the application seems to work without problem.

Anyway, how can I fix the problem?

Gabor