develooper Front page | perl.par | Postings from August 2008

Re: Using pp to generate exe from pl in a cygwin env

From:
Bob Davis
Date:
August 8, 2008 13:59
Re: Using pp to generate exe from pl in a cygwin env
Message ID:
489CB3A9.7050105@bobsbits.net
Darin wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> After doing the force installation did pp for you?
>
> I would appreciate it if you can provide the details re install including
> the wrong dll.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Darin
>
> On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 4:42 AM, bob davis <bob@bobsbits.net> wrote:

Sorry to mislead you darin.
After reading more of your post I think you have something wrong with
the install.
Are you installing with cpan or downloading source and compiling(make)
or installing a binary.
If one is giving you a problem try a different method. You have 3 to
choose from.

I noticed 2 problems with cygwin.
1. When using cpan to install after a successful make the make test
failed. I tracked the problem to one of the tests where it tests if the
binary(exe) is self contained. This can never be true with cygwin
because pp(par) doesnt package the extra dll's that cygwin needs. (i.e.
cygwin1.dll, cygcrypt-0.dll, cygconv-2.dll, etc). I think it should at
least package cygperl5_8.dll since par does that for the other
platforms. And after patching a know problem on strawberry perl this
pointed me to the correct place in the code when compiling (make) that
determines the name of the perl dll. So to make a long story short since
cygwin has dependicies which cant be met because perl cant even start to
so it can extract the needed dll's(sort of a chicken and the egg
problem). I decided that if I was going to use cygwin perl that I had to
predistribute dll's anyways.

2. When you predistribute dll's and the target machine already has
cygwin you can get version mismatch. You can only have one cygwin
version in memory at one time.

So to sum up.
cygwin make succeeded on my machine.
cygwin make test failed
in cpan
force make install
causes the failure of make test to be ignored and the install is done
anyways.

bob