develooper Front page | perl.par | Postings from June 2008

Re: Strawberry Perl // Re: PAR installation question....

From:
Sisyphus
Date:
June 30, 2008 04:16
Re: Strawberry Perl // Re: PAR installation question....
Message ID:
23C0972B4A1C4B29BC398A55F57FCB36@desktop2

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alvar Freude" <alvar@a-blast.org>
To: <par@perl.org>
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2008 7:30 PM
Subject: Strawberry Perl // Re: PAR installation question....
.
> So, the question is: where are the pros of ActivePerl beside support
> contracts or the ActiveStates Perl Development Kit etc, unless it ships
> CPAN ready? ;-)

I can think of 2 possible "pros":
1) As I mentioned earlier, you can use Visual Studio to build modules on
ActivePerl - but not on Strawberry. (And if the module depends on ATL or
MFC, then you need Visual Studio);

2) ActiveState will apply some patches to their perl releases as the patches
become available. Strawberry wait for official releases. This means that
you'll find patched files in recent releases of ActivePerl 5.10.0 that you
won't get in Strawberry Perl until 5.10.1 is released.

Personally, I regard both as minor "pros" ... and it might possibly be
argued that 2) is in fact a "con".
(I guess, for that matter, there probably is a way to build modules with
Visual Studio on Strawberry .... just a matter of running
ExtUtils::FakeConfig in the other direction :-)

Cheers,
Rob