develooper Front page | perl.par | Postings from June 2008

Re: PAR installation question....

From:
Steffen Mueller
Date:
June 29, 2008 12:42
Re: PAR installation question....
Message ID:
4867E57F.8070908@sneakemail.com
Hi Mark, hi Paul, hi everybody,

Mark Dootson wrote:
[...]
> At which point, they look technically equivalent to me so it's down to
> questions of your view on licensing and support, which each distribution
> addresses in different ways. Whether one or the other is 'better' is
> down to individual preferences and circumstance.

I can't agree more with both Paul and Mark here. There's no reason at
all to pick on ActivePerl. When Strawberry Perl was new, it had the
*huge* advantage of having a working C compiler out of the box, but
various shortcomings, too. That both distributions are on similar
footing these days because both were *improved* is a major
accomplishment by those who worked on them. I think major kudos are due
to ActiveState and Adam&the-Strawberry-folks!

Best regards,
Steffen