develooper Front page | perl.par | Postings from June 2008

Re: PAR installation question....

From:
Mark Dootson
Date:
June 29, 2008 12:19
Re: PAR installation question....
Message ID:
4867E02B.9050102@znix.com
Hi,

I don't think everyone is.
I use ActivePerl and can see no benefit for my particular situation in changing.

But Strawberry provides a viable alternative on Windows, and choice has to be a good thing.

The nice thing about it is that whatever choice you make at the outset, you are not locked in. If you find somewhere down the line that one distribution provides something the other does not and you need it, just switch. I can't off the top of my head think of anything that would prevent you from doing so.

In any event, in one or two releases Strawberry will have sorted out the minor issues around relocation on install and for ActivePerl, folks may realise how easy it is to install MinGW now which 'just works' with recent ActivePerl releases.

At which point, they look technically equivalent to me so it's down to questions of your view on licensing and support, which each distribution addresses in different ways. Whether one or the other is 'better' is down to individual preferences and circumstance.

Regards

Mark