develooper Front page | perl.par | Postings from June 2008

PAR::Packer 0.980 on AIX: error and fix

From:
Niel Lambrechts
Date:
June 13, 2008 17:15
PAR::Packer 0.980 on AIX: error and fix
Message ID:
4852BD1A.9050606@devnull.org
Hi

On all AIX versions I tested (4.3 - 5.3) the following compiler error
will be seen when running a 'make' for PAR::Packer:

------------
./par: execution of ./par failed - aborting with -1.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at -e line 975.

Stop.
------------

A trace of the process showed E2BIG - which means the default AIX
setting of ncargs (ARG/ENV list size in 4K byte blocks) is not
sufficient for PAR::Packer to function.

A possible (quick)fix is to increase ncargs from its default value of 6
by running 'chdev -l sys0 -a ncargs=7', bearing in mind this can only be
done on AIX 5L and higher, not AIX 4.3.

Can this ncargs requirement really not be avoided by the distribution?
It was not a problem during earlier PAR::Packer distributions I built
(at least 0.970, possibly 0.976).

Regards,
Niel